1) Expensive isn’t always best! Back in my more troublesome skin days when I was about 15 I was desperate, and I mean DESPERATE, to find some magic skin fix! I ended up buying a whole range of Clinique products that claimed to sort out my face issues, but ended up feeling so disappointed as the products were so strong they left my skin burning and feeling unbearably dry. Not to mention the fact that my purse felt significantly lighter after that hefty purchase - I was not a happy bunny! If you really don’t know where to start with skincare I would not recommend spending more just because you think the product will be more effective, because from my experiences it doesn’t work that way at all! At the minute I swear by a Sanctuary face wash and moisturiser (see here) that are really reasonably priced and most importantly give me results that I’m happy with.
2) Find make-up that suits your skin. It may sound obvious, but stay well away from products that aim to provide a ‘dewy finish’ and stick to those with mattifying properties, like Maybelline’s Dream Matte Mousse. I would also recommend buying a powder to keep shine at bay after applying foundation, these are really useful for popping into your handbag so you can remain oil-free throughout the day!
3) Stay awaaaay from the soap! Over-washing your skin to rid it of all the nasty grease and shine will unfortunately only irritate your face and leave you with the reverse of your desired results! I’ve been very guilty of doing this in the past but now stick to a routine of cleansing and moisturising just twice a day, in the morning and evening.
4) Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water throughout the day! This sounds pretty straightforward but it’s so easy to get busy at work/school/university and forget to take a break to quench your thirst, so I always carry a bottle of water around with me in my handbag! I also think it’s really important to try and eat clean and make the effort to reach 5 a day - head over to this post for some seriously tasty and healthy recipes that you and your body will love!
5) If you’re really struggling – SEEK HELP! It’s okay to call your doctor if you’re finding it hard to cope with spotty or problem skin as they can offer a range of antibiotics that might just be the extra help you need!
I hope that these tips come in handy to those of you who share in my shiny skin woes, please drop me a comment if you have any more advice to offer!